Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Puzzle of 2 doors

You’re in a dungeon with two doors. One leads to escape, the other to execution. There are only two other people in the room, one of whom always tells the truth, while the other always lies. You don’t know which is which, but they know that the other always lies or tells the truth. You can ask one of them one question, but, of course, you don’t know whether you’ll be speaking to the truth-teller or the liar. So what single question can you ask one of them that will enable you to figure out which door is which and make your escape?

I have an answer, maybe its right, maybe not. I will post it here another day. I tried it on my wife and it led to arguments and yelling. I lost.

Give up? You ask either of them: “If I asked the other person which door is the one to escape, which would he point to?” Then you take the other door.

Thanks to all who tested wits with puzzle. The answer to the  puzzle about the dungeon is to ask either man: If I asked the other person which is the door to escape, which would he say. Then you take the other door. 

No comments:

Post a Comment