Saturday, January 31, 2015

Signatures

This is about signing your Posts and Comments. It seems to me that a signed piece carrys' much more weight than a unsigned piece or one that is signed with a pseudonym. As of this date the New York Times editorials are heading for signed publishing. So why not on this blog?

Signing with a pseudonym is tantamount to telling your readers "I am afraid to put my actual name on this piece" or " I am somewhat ashamed of this therefore no signature". Exactly who could you be afraid of or why is not clear. Is it the Boogey man? Nah!

Stating a position and taking ownership of it by signing your actual name adds power to your piece and I recommend it highly.

It is apparently correct and sensible for most of the NYTimes opinion writers, most of the letters to editor writers, including the letters to the editors authors in the CV Recorder use their real names, why not here on this Blog?

Please note from the beginning I and Olga always signed our names to our work, even Dave Israel signs his work, but many if not all of his alcolytes do not.

Gary

6 comments:

  1. Let me begin by saying I am Mary Jane Gorges, a newly elected Board Member of Dover. I do not support David Israel and I do not support the founders/members of this blog. I merely want to comment that "Our Village " has put a discussion about Montreal's hotel situation, which affects a very few (not discounting those who are affected) front and center on that blog, while the supposed Budget "Town Hall" from what I can see had very limited and no nadvance otice on Ch 63. This despite Mr. Israel's former attempts to make public meetings available on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome in out of the cold Mary Jane Gorges. Feel the fresh air that follows you. As for supporting this blog. Not necessary. Supporting the isues is what we want. Are you reading Dorothy's posts about the budget? She is spot on, and we, you and I, have to do something about it.
    NO 4TH TERM FOR STARTERS!'
    your Village Friend
    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gary and I don't always agree on things, but this is one where we totally agree, sign your post or it is meaningless. There is nothing to be afraid of. If someone doesn't like what you post, or disagrees with you, let them say so. Hiding behind a pseudonym just makes it seem cowardly. If you can't stand up for what you believe in, then you should keep your mouth shut.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In also agree with Gary and Bob. The problem is many residents prefer to remain anonymous for fear of reprisal by David Israel and his people who control all aspects of the village. People fear losing their Club privileges or volunteer positions. The only way we can get people to come out in the open is to get rid of David Israel.
    LET FREEDOM RING

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is even worse is when the person sends filth thru the wires and refuses to acknowledge who he is - though we do know. At least Grace has the courage to sign her name. In many cases we are able to figure out who people are and Mary Jane, welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not now, nor was I ever, afraid to sign my name, so I too am in total agreement with those who have posted before me.

      Delete