Thursday, February 26, 2015

Cam and the Bidders

Here is the Cam's answer to my questions about the shortage of Bidders. The question I asked is why is this allowed to happen? We should have one person to overlook the jobs and that man is the Cam. Everybody elso should stay out of any contact with the Contractor. If you have something that must be passed on to the Contactor. Tell it to the Cam.

From: Ted S. Herrle [mailto:ucocam1@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2015 3:28 PM
To: 'Gary Olman'
Subject: RE: Not enough Bidders

Thanks for asking Mr. Olman and thank you for your patience in giving me some time to spend with our daughter. 

Regarding the proposed entry sign, I did put the request out to multiple sign companies.  Four sign companies  responded , one later dropped out and the other two eventual declined to bid.  I was not very happy that we weren’t able to get at least one additional proposal and I called and emailed one of the large sign companies multiple times without a response. I then decided to make a personal visit to the company (Atlas Signs) and I was told by the receptionist that “everyone was busy”.  I then asked when I should check back with her and she replied,  “they will be busy all day”.  She never asked for a number to call or a business card.  To me, this was  a clear indication they were no longer interested. 

What you have been told regarding “not wanting to deal with us” is correct and we are working to help eliminate that issue by having one person deal with the outside companies.  I have been personally told by one contractor that “everyone in Century Village is a boss” and everyone wants something different”.  I have addressed this at staff meetings and with committee chairs and we are making good progress in this area. 

The  sign budget line item is intended (as is generally so) to include community signs such as stop, street and directional signs, not the entry abutment-type sign.  This entry sign would normally be funded from the infrastructure line item or alternatively a reserve budget item.  In our case we had no reserve item for the entry sign. 

I am here for you Mr. Olman so please don’t hesitate to contact me with any other questions or comments you may have. 

Very Best Regards,

Ted S. Herrle

Ted S. Herrle, PCAM, MCM
Community Manager
United Civic Organization of

Century Village

5 comments:

  1. Ted Herrie makes the statement "I have been personally told by one contractor that "everyone in Century Village is a boss" and "everyone wants something different." Hats off to Ted......that is a very accurate statement.

    Yet, nobody in CV making decisions knows anything about anything when it comes down to architectural design and production of documents, and construction methods, means and procedures.

    The UCO Infrastructure and Bidding Committees should be combined and stocked with 10 or 12 people who have extensive backgrounds in architectural design, engineering, code requirements, and field work experience. And, those committee members should work very closely with UCO's CAM almost on a day-to-day basis.
    The CAM should be the final say on who has the knowledge and experience, and is capable of serving on this combined committee. Politics must be kept out of it entirely.

    A typical example of putting politics ahead of experience would be the 5.3 million dollar paving fiasco. Black and Israel knew nothing about paving, contracts, design, field supervision, etc., yet, they claimed to be the bosses, and everything had to be done their way. Look at the results. EDUARDO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Y'know Mr Ross, I know you have all those letters after your name and all, but I have never heard of you volunteering to give your expertise. You have the architectural background, stop complaining and use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Rivera, -- you are now addressing me, Mr. Ross, and I thank you for the respect, which I think I deserve after having over 50 years in the architectural/engineering profession, and specializing in construction administration (design/build).

      However, Mr. Rivera, your snipe, using the words "stop complaining" is not really worthy of a defending response. You should know, however, that I submitted my name with a detailed CV background of my many services to my own association as president, and my extensive services to UCO re the reconstruction of the clubhouse after the big hurricane, and a two-page bio printed in WHO'S WHO IN AMERICA, to David Israel on three separate occasions. I told him in writing that as a professional I would provide, pro bono (although not normally permitted by professional standards), services in any way that I could inasmuch as I was a resident and a unit owner of Century Village. Through two other people in the administration I learned that Mr. Israel rejected my offer. He personally stated, it is reported, that he would not allow me to serve on any one of the four committees I had made application for that perhaps I could provide some input and a worthwhile service. I respectfully requested that he place his rejections in writing, but he wouldn't even respond.

      So please, Mr. Rivera, maybe you should do a little homework before you open your mouth and spew inaccurate information in print. It makes you look like a fool.

      Delete
    2. Dave Israel kept your rejection to serve on committees very secret. I was there in the office and I know what he did. I think that you became a threat to him with your knowledge and experience. I know of 2 other people of which he did the same thing.

      Delete
  3. The new sign proposal looks OK. But I have to ask. Is there going to be any lights on it or is it going to sit in the dark ? If it's going to be lit up ,How much does that cost ? I see a water feature mentioned in the proposal drawing. What is that going to cost to run plumbing out there, and maintain it ? Having a water feature sounds good but it would likely attract birds who are going to roost there and poop on it.
    The proposal drawing looks like a nice sign, but I don't think it reflects the character of the village or the existing architecture. It looks more like a sign you would see at a rustic inn or lodge.

    ReplyDelete