Monday, February 9, 2015

Think for yourself

The UCO Reporter and Newspeak – 1984 – Is Fascism Just Around the Corner
Stew Richland - opinions
“All the news that’s fit to print.”  Go past the New York Times building or read the top of the front page and this is what you see. When purchased, the New York Times in 1896, was in decline.  The Times was in competition with the two Yellow Journal papers. Yellow Journalism is a term first coined during the famous newspaper wars between William Randolph Hearst and Joseph Pulitzer II. In order to sell papers, they resorted to headlines in bold colorful print.  This type of  journalism exploits, distorts, or exaggerates the news to create sensations and attract readers. Hurst once remarked, "You furnish the pictures and I'll furnish the war."  This referred to drawings of atrocities that were taking place in Cuba.  Historians all agree that Yellow Journalistic exaggerations were one of the major reasons for the Spanish-American War.
Ochs, the owner of the Times offered a cash prize to anyone who would come up with a slogan, 10 words or less, that would capture the Times’ policy towards printing the news.  Two of these slogans were:  “Full of meat, clean and neat” and “A decent newspaper for decent people.”
When I was a teacher in New York, the Times would offer a reduced rate for teachers who subscribe to the paper for classroom use.  In addition, Time and Newsweek also offered special subscription rates and also provided teacher lesson plans, maps and political cartoons. None of this is available any more.  Sad, but the evidence clearly is there for all to see that the newspaper business is in decline.  With a push of the button on my computer, I can open up dozens of newspapers that are published around the U.S.  Tragically, many of these papers have a left-leaning view of the world.  In my classroom, I would encourage my students to look at both sides of an issue and then exercise their logic to draw conclusions about what they were reading.
I am writing this post in response to what I read on the blog today.
I am an 18 year resident of Century Village.  During that time I found that the UCO reporter was a darn good read.  Articles were printed dealing with many different subjects.  For instance Kurt Weiss  was a constant contributor who wrote a column called “Kurt’s Opinion.” He addressed world issues, especially the events unfolding in the Middle East.   Another great and gifted writer was Bob Fogelman. His column was called Random Ramblings. Columns like these made the UCO reporter a joy to read.
I don’t remember the event that prompted me to write an article about Freedom of the Press.  I know it was during the presidency of Bob Marshall.  The editor was Joe Saponaro.  I submitted the article and it was not published.  I called the editor, Mr. Saponaro, and he told me that the article had a religious bent and that I used the term G-D. in the article and thus it was not acceptable.  I remember asking him if he read the complete article.  He would not answer.  I told him that the word G-d was part of a presentation made by Andrew Hamilton to the jury in the famous Peter Zenger case of 1735.  I pushed for a logical answer to why the article was rejected, and all he could do was say that he was going to hang up the phone, case closed.  I then went to the UCO Reporter office, discussed the problem with Bob Marshall.  He told me that the paper was at the printers and could not be part of that months edition.  I asked if it would be published in the next issue. No answer.  He also did not read the article. Needless to say it was never printed.
Time and changing leadership of the paper has not brought any significant change in the papers editorial policy.  I submitted an article on 11/21. It was a political view on the nation’s up- coming election cycle.  When the paper came out, my article was not in there.  I went to the UCO Reporter office and was told by the editor on duty that he knew the article was submitted but that’s all he knew. I should talk to the editor, Joy Vestal.  I sent two e-mails to the paper but Joy did not respond.  At the Delegate Assembly meeting, I asked for an explanation but the answer was somewhat vague.  I attended the Reporter meeting at 1PM  at the UCO office.  One of the editors, Don Foster,  said that there was no room left in the paper for my article so he put it into the files for future publication.  To me that sounds like the old Deep Six.  Into the garbage and forget About It.!  However, I had distinctly heard during the Delegate Assembly meeting that the UCO Reporter needed articles.  Now it becomes clear.  Articles that are acceptable to Joy and her boss the,  President.  At this reporter meeting the discussion revolved around what to put into the next issue.  Ideas such as food recipes, Chinese duck, and also a possible article about what charming things children say plus how to deal with the so-called Malcontents.
After the meeting Don Foster asked me to write an article on food, but not cooking or a recipe, just something of human interest dealing with the subject.  Again I submitted an  article but it was not printed.  However, to be fair, I have been submitting a series of articles on the history of immigration into the United States.  Since the articles are historical and not political the first was published and the second article has already been submitted.

One of the reasons why newspapers are losing readership and going out of business is the fact that people have little interest in what is being published.  Dull stuff like a trip to a market does little to excite readership.  Rejecting dissenting opinions also turns people off. Remember the phrase: I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.(Voltaire)  If there is no change in the editorial policy, I am afraid that the UCO Reporter will slide into the grave next to the Brooklyn Eagle and the Herald Tribune.   Voltaire also stated   "Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too."  In a society with a free press, it would be quite refreshing if the UCO reporter editors shared this position and encouraged opposing view points to see the light of day at the reporter.  

No comments:

Post a Comment