Thursday, July 28, 2016

Mike Bloombergs case for Hillary

Why I'm Endorsing Clinton for President

July 28, 2016 - Newsletter



The Independent's Case for Clinton

By Michael Bloomberg

The following is an adaptation of an address delivered to the Democratic National Convention on July 27, 2016:

When the Founding Fathers arrived in Philadelphia to forge a new nation, they didn’t come as Democrats or Republicans, or to nominate a presidential candidate. They came as patriots who feared party politics. I know how they felt.

I’ve been a Democrat. I’ve been a Republican. And I eventually became an independent, because I don’t believe either party has a monopoly on good ideas or strong leadership. When I enter the voting booth, I look at the candidate, not the party label. I have supported elected officials from both sides of the aisle. Probably not many people here can say that.

But I know there are many Americans who can. And now, they are carefully weighing their choices. I understand their dilemma. I know what it’s like to have neither party fully represent my views or values. Too many Republicans wrongly blame immigrants for our problems -- and they stand in the way of action on climate change and gun violence. Meanwhile, many Democrats wrongly blame the private sector for our problems -- and they stand in the way of action on education reform and deficit reduction.

Continue reading on Bloomberg View

No comments:

Post a Comment