Monday, February 9, 2015

The Wonders of JFK Hospital

I have a tale to tell, which I found hard to believe, and you will also.

Last Thursday, February 6. I entered JFK Hospital. Specifically I entered the Hospital under the guise of the Heart and Vessel section. The Doctors involved were the 3 Surgeons who are in charge of this section. Doctors' Nores, Lester and Lovett.

Here's what happened. A week before the scheduled surgery a Heart Catheration, specifically to take pictures of my Aortic Valve, which was scheduled to be replaced next week, was done.

So the Heart cath went well. I had no pain and no anxiety. This procedure was like a practice for the actual Valve change, except
they take pictures of the valve to get the type and size.

This was done with absolutely no buildup of anxiety on my part. The staff was very caring.

The next week I had the big one performed. Yes I had anxiety, no doubt. But again the staff was extremely caring and kind.

There was no delay once I was rolled into the operating room I was sedated, The next thing I knew it was 10 o'clock. The operation took about 4 hours. Upon awaking I was alert and had no pain. I was rolled up to ICU and there the ICU Nurses were terrific. I spent 24 hours in ICU and then, when a room was available, I was rolled up to single nice room.

 A small, about 1" cut, was made into the groin area, on both sides. They then slid the camera into one side up to the heart area and the other side, the actual valve was inserted. When the camera showed that the valve was correctly positioned it was opened and inserted. The old Aortic Valve was actually pushed out of the way. Total time time for the procedure was about 4 hours. Total time in th hospital was Thursday to Sunday. I went home Sunday. Can you believe it? I had a major heart operation and was home and functioning in 4 days.

From the time I awoke to now. I have had no pain or discomfiture.

My rehab is walking as much as can, no lifting use the spirometer (used to exercise the lungs) frequently. All of this for 6 weeks.

Poor Judy has to do all the shopping and unloading. The rule is no lifting, 8 lbs max. Walk and breath.

Gary


5 comments:

  1. So glad you are back safe and sound. To 120, Gary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you back and posting. Missed you. DMT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you up and around again. Stay well and keep walking. Missed your postings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see your up and around. Stay well and keep walking. Missed your postings.

    ReplyDelete