Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Always vote for Principle!

Stew Richland
Hello Mr. and Mrs. Century Village and all our residents around the globe.
Yes, I do read the UCO Reporter.  In Jody Lebel’s column, “Are we losing our culture in Century Village?”  hit the nail on the head, especially if you attended the Executive Board meeting the other day. The article references the fact that things change and not for the better.  We are experiencing a loss of culture, values, and the decay of civility. Why is this happening?  Dr. Stein suggests that in the early days of Century Village many highly educated professionals decided to retire here. She goes on to reflect that  “over time it has been her experience that as the level of education of the residents declined”  the problems have increased.  Perhaps this explains some of the events that occurred at the Executive Board meeting.
In Ruth Bernhard’s column she reminded us that the  “Executive Board members are important because they VOTE on matters.” Many of these so-called “matters” deal with the rules  that govern UCO.  Since the election cycle is fast approaching, Ms. Bernhard has encouraged those who want to run for this important committee fill out the biography form, and on that form is space to state what  “your intentions will be if you are elected,” and outline your views on important issues and how they benefit the community.
Based on the criteria outlined in her article on the Executive Board,  it is implied that those who win these positions will take an active role when issues are presented to them for  action. This means they will  actively participate in all discussions provide, clear thoughtful  reasons for their positions, and respect the opinions of those Board members that oppose your views.
Like all opinion writers it is important to establish context for my views. I will do so now.
More than fifty years ago, standing before me was my four year old precious and intelligent son, asking me for permission do something.  Exercising my parental prerogative, I said, “No!”  My son quickly responded, “Why!”  I then learned that even a four-year old is entitled to a reason.  This was a valuable lesson learned.
As a teacher we were trained to elicit critical thinking  on the part of the student by couching your questions in such a manner that students were forced to provide thoughtful answers to questions.  The teacher would then use one students response to encourage other to question, challenge or expand on a student’s response,  This was known as the Socratic Method of teaching.  This method requires that the teacher makes a concerted effort to include all students in the discussion.  No one was allowed a free pass. This technique was most useful in analyzing “cause and effect” issues, motives,  consequences.
When a candidate wins  an election it presupposes that when you accept the job, you are going to make a contribution for the good of the public, the citizenry of Century Village.  That means that you will not disappoint your self and your constituents. Every member of the Executive board must live up to the highest standards of ethical conduct
This means accepting as their duty, indeed as their noble duty, to support openly, proudly, and as generously as they possibly can the values that they have recognized as right and true.
At this Executive Board meeting two very important by-law changes were presented for evaluation, discussion, and a vote. The first was fairly moved on.  This by-law stated that any issue would be presented to the Delegate Assembly and they would have the final word on the issue.
The second, and most emotional and indeed volatile, was the question of term limits. The issue was presented and most of the committee members rejected term limits. However, it is not the result of the motion that is the crux of my article, it is the process by which the issue handled. 
When the Chair asked for comments,  most of the committee sat mute. They offered nothing,  They had nothing to contribute. They sat there, docile, ready to accept the ideology that had been drummed into them by our UCO President.
When I stood up to make my case, I demanded that those who voted against the measure to explain their vote. Convince me, with logic, with understanding of the issue, that I am wrong and you are right. 
I made my case as passionately as I could.  Yes decibel level began to go up. So what! I am passionate on issues that could change the direction of life in Century Village. One women, confusing my passion for the issue, thought that I was rude, and disrespectful to the Committee and had no right to display my passion as I did. All during this discourse there was little to no evidence that, on the most part there were no living, thinking people in the room. I realized I was in a room populated with people and I had no clue to what they were thinking. People who are voting on important issues should share their views. That is why they are on the committee. That is why I called them to task. 
Lets take a short multiple choice test about what occurred at the Executive Board meeting.  This  quiz is aimed at those who said nothing at the meeting.
You have the right to remain silent but….. anything you say may…….?
Select the letter of the answer that best supports the question above

(a)  It’s for me to know and you to find out.
(b)  I am a team player so I go along with the boss
(c)  I did not know you had to vote
(d)  When I want your opinion, I will give it to you
(d)  Loose lips sink ….. I forgot the rest
(e)  My views are my own, they are none of your business
(f)   Huh, I was not listening
(g)  I take the 5th so that no one will know I don’t know anything
(h)  You want the truth!  You really want the truth!! Well you can’t handle it
(i)   What, you want me to think
(j)   Ask me no questions, I will tell you no lies
(k)  Thinking requires to much energy, I abstain

To summarize the events that took place at the Executive Board meeting. We had two major proposals submitted for consideration.  There was virtually no discourse, the vast majority of the committee sat in silence,  they did not participate in any positive way, offered nothing on either side of the issues. Then why are they there?  What is their function if they don’t contribute any ideas?  Then came the vote. This silent majority voted no without providing any rational to explanation  why they voted the way they did.  What  a disserve to those who voted them to this committee to do something and they did nothing.
Every man, every women  of any committee, who has taken up the commitment to serve their community should ask themselves these questions: Am I humble and do I listen to everybody, If you don't ask those questions, your governance will not be good.
In the end those that attempted to bring some semblance  of process to the meeting wound up being punished for thinking and being honest.
What we got was the good, the bad, and the ugly in the way the meeting was conducted. 
Always vote for principle

4 comments:

  1. STEW: The answer to the question (d) LOOSE LIPS, SINK SHIPS. A TERM LIMIT is a LEGAL restriction that LIMITS the number of TERMS an OFFICEHOLDER may SERVE in a PARTICULAR ELECTED OFFICE. In some CASES the RESTRICTIONS are merely on the NUMBER of CONSECUTIVE TERMS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have said this before, again and again. Public servants are there to serve the public and not the other way around. One is supposed to be OF service and not to GAIN power or position. Unfortunately, the Board today, the officers today, almost to a one, have not a thought in their heads other than what David says to do and what they must do to keep their little kingdoms. So very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (L) What me vote? I just do what David Israel tells me to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ANONYMOUS: 7.29P.M. If Dave Israel told you to Jump off the ROOF, would you do it.

    ReplyDelete