Sunday, January 18, 2015

The Need for Common Sense


SOMETIMES WE NEED TO USE COMMON SENSE

 Coming out of Citibank into the village, the visitor’s line at the entrance gate was backed up to Okeechobee. Since I was a resident, I cut in front of a waiting car coming from Wells Fargo to get into the resident lane. When I arrived near the gate, I noticed the resident lane was closed, so I was forced to cut back into the visitors’ lane - it does not sit well with me to cut anyone off unnecessarily.  

When I arrived at the gate, the guard asked me for my ID.  I told him I have a sticker, but he kept insisting on taking the time to check my ID. Meanwhile Ed Black was also at the gate fussing with the broken gate hardware and we started to argue. In the past when the gate was broken, the Guard from the previous company would look forward to seeing if you had a transponder or decal on your window and wave you through but no, not the new guards.  They take their orders from Mr. Ed Black who seems   to think; it's better to check your ID and have a long dangerous line onto Okeechobee than the small possibility of letting someone into the village who may be using a resident's car.  

This is one of the unexpected situations we have to deal with in everyday life where we have to make a choice to use common sense rather than protocol, but unfortunately Ed Black has limited ability for such use.  He preferred to stall the line and argue with me rather than tell the guard to lift the gate.  He knew who I was.  I am one of his favorite malcontents.

 Whenever I come across a situation where stupidities overrides common sense I have a tendency to get mad, so I managed to muster up all the nasty words I could think of and relay them to Mr. Black. I must admit; afterwards, I felt much better - I absolved my anger.  However, my guess is Mr. Black was mighty pissed off.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for speaking up for me too. I am a snow bird and do not have a sticker. I have to wait on long lines to get into the village. This was not the case last year. What is wrong with the people who run UCO? Don't they care about us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing as intoxicating as a sip of authority ! UCO has been on a bender !

    ReplyDelete