Saturday, March 7, 2015

Observer Report

OBSERVATIONS OF AN OBSERVER.

I just spent my morning acting as an observer in the election that took place today. It was not a task I relish, but I thought it would be interesting to see just how the counting of votes is conducted in a UCO election of officers. I have some experience as an observer in elections. I acted a a scrutineer in municipal elections, and a few Canadian federal and provincial elections .
After the polls closed we gathered in a large room in the clubhouse. Everyone was checked to make sure they were authorized to be there. Each candidate has the right to have an observer present at the count.

The people counting votes drew lots and were separated into groups of four and seated at tables scattered around the room.
The observers were read the rules by the foreperson , they included : no cell phones, no recording or taking pictures, no talking to the counters, you can talk to each other as long as you are not close to the counters, No leaving the room, if you leave you cannot come back, no writing anything, and no hovering.
Hovering? What does that mean?  asked  a perplexed observer.
It means you can't hover close to the tables where the counting is taking place, you can walk around the room and you can stand around as long as you are at least a table length away from the counters was the reply.

A large stack of envelopes was suddenly produced, each envelope contained a stack of ballots from the election, one envelope with a corresponding tally sheet attached was passed to each table where the counters set to work tallying it all up.

As an observer something didn't seem quite right, How did the ballots get into the envelopes ? It might sound like picking at hairs, but the fact is : I didn't see anyone doing it.

Who emptied the ballot  box and filled the envelopes ?

I saw some guys sitting at a table in the corner ,busily shuffling papers and stuff, I didn't know what they were doing and I don't think any of the observers knew either. I assume they are honest and not up to any hanky panky, but I'm not there to assume.

The process of tallying up the votes is tedious to say the least, the counters at the tables seemed to be following the proper procedures.

But as an observer I was not really able to observe. I couldn't get close enough for long enough to see what the counters were doing.

As each name was read from the ballot it was recorded on the tally sheet by another, I couldn't see whether the person calling out the name on the sheet was calling out the right name, or whether the person recording it was getting it right .If you got too close to the tables and hung around too long, they threatened to kick you out.

I wandered around and watched and listened, it felt like a classroom where exams were taking place. I wanted a drink of water and a visit to the loo, and I wasn't the only oneAt one point after a couple of hours , the foreperson suddenly started shouting . “ NO TALKING, NO TALKING” That was a little stunning, she just got through telling us we were allowed to talk,  She then sat down and started a conversation with  someone at the table.I thought that the rules are for everyone, or am I mistaken?  I guess I must be mistaken, because it wasn't long before I saw the foreperson leave the room for a few minutes, taking the security guard with her, she reappeared a few minutes later. She made it loud and clear at the start of the proceedings  ” No one is allowed to leave

Then  a photographer showed up and started taking pictures for the newspaper.

As I wandered around the room I noticed some more activity at the table in the corner , a laptop computer was placed on the desk and the tally sheets were being entered into the data base. I couldn't see that either, The man on the computer had his back in a corner , he said it bothered him if anyone looked over his shoulder. So he sat there punching in numbers while everyone else had to stand back


Not really being able to see what he was doing. A volunteer sat in a position that blocked anyone from viewing from the side.
Finally the foreperson announced that the results were not going to be revealed until Mr Israel gets them. The question was asked “ can we observe the transfer of the information. ? I didn't hear any answer to that.

One objection I am compelled to make is about the way a volunteer observer was treated by the foreperson. While the votes were being entered into the computer, some observers gathered around in front of the table, One of the observers sat down at the table, She was immediately pounced on by the foreperson who announced. “ The observers are not allowed to sit at this table” The tired volunteer got out of the chair and stood behind it at the table. That was not called for. It didn't mean a tinkers damn to the proceedings, it demonstrated the attitude that the observers were forced to endure.

I was expecting them to place each ballot on the table in view of the observer as they have done in other elections where I acted as scrutineer.

It is the observers job to monitor the opening of the ballot box, and then to monitor the counters to see if what is on the ballot agrees with what is written on the tally sheet, and to check the numbers when it is added up. I would think that an observer should be able to see the numbers being copied into the data base, and should be able to take notes.

If the ballot box is opened without observers being aware of it and observers are not being allowed to really see what is going on with the counting and tabulating, then what's the point of having observers ?

I was finally forced to leave by natures calling. I dashed down the hall and ran bursting into the men's room muttering to myself .

I don't think that any hanky panky took place. But I don't know . I couldn't see. I didn't get to see it all wrapped up, I had to go and they wouldn't let me back in the room.


Neil J Moore.

1 comment:

  1. When you have a dictatorship, a dynasty, a dominion, ---you don't stand a chance in hell in being able to implement rules, regulations or standards that serve the people well. Nothing in print applies; dictatorial rule is absolute without interference; you can't even apply reason or ethics. This is the NOW Century Village.

    You can say all you want about the eccentric behavior that happened at the UCO elections, or the things that shouldn't have occurred. You can use whatever language you choose to describe the horrific attitudes of the controllers and their methods, means and procedures. But nothing is going to change, -- nothing, until the forces of power inflict such anger, pain and monetary harm to the voting element that they will no longer tolerate such wicked actions by the governing body.

    Because of the way CV is now structured, changes may not happen any time soon. Unfortunate, but true, --- just have a good look at the entire UCO structuring and the ill will personalities that govern. It can give you nausea. There is hate, selfishness and egotism that inundates UCO. Have faith, all ogres in history were eventually brought down. Century Village may have to hit the very bottom before things take on an upward spiral.

    I heard a Delegate say, loudly, I might add, -- "I'm going to get the hell out of this place. It's gonna get worse, much worse!" EDUARDO

    ReplyDelete